Saturday, May 29, 2010

a treasure chest


This week, I got my very own treasure chest from my mom. My great-grandmother's sewing chest...a whole expandable box full of all her thread, needles, and knick knacks! It meant so much to me - my great grandmother gave this to my grandma years ago. I never really knew either of them - I had never met my great grandmother and my grandma passed away when I was very young. This made me feel so close to them - knowing that we all share the same passion. And it makes me feel close to my own mother who passed this down to me - she was the one who helped me make my first dress...and trust me, that was not a pleasant experience!


I just love looking through the contents - you can just see the resourcefulness of their generations...all of the little hooks and snaps are held in my great grandmother's old prescription boxes. Small buttons are held in an old cigarette tin. Needles are kept tightly in place by part of an old card. I could definitely learn a thing or too about the waste-not-want-not mentality from these ladies.


Thank you mom and grandma and great grandma for this amazing gift...I promise to treasure it until I have someone to pass it down to!

No comments: