Monday, July 19, 2010

families are like fudge...mostly sweet with a few nuts...

Last week, Dale and I hopped in our SUV and headed back to Wisconsin for a long weekend of family time...more than just family time...family reunion time. Yes, those two little words can strike fear into the bravest of hearts, but we tightened our belts, put on our happy faces, and struck out on this adventure just the same. While I have roped Dale into more than his fair share of reunions on my side of the fam, this was my first on his side. I expected the worst...awkward moments with crazy aunts, having to change odorous diapers at every turn, perhaps even enduring hours and hours of stories about "the way things used to be."

but,

I. had. a. blast. I mean it. Not just a good time. A blast. The family was amazing - no scary stories, no weird odors, not a dirty diaper to speak of (well, at least none that I had to change). Instead of hours upon hours of pain and misery, I found myself secretly hoping that a freak natural disaster would occur barring off all of the exits and forcing us to stay just a few more days.

God has given me one kick-butt extended family. (And p.s. - if you are interested in having a good time, talk to Dale's grandma. She really knew how to rock a party back in the day).

Yikes...my macaroni is currently boiling over...

No comments: